The week before we heard the news, I felt completely at peace about the impending move. That was until Nate told me the Army had assigned us to Alaska. After he told me, I thought to myself, why in the world did we rank Alaska so high? What were we thinking?
Alaska is such a big unknown for us. Nate's family lived there for five years when his dad was stationed at Ft Wainwright, but that was almost 25 years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed. How would our family handle this drastic change? the cold? being far from family and friends? the weeks of darkness? Had we really thought this through when we ranked Alaska number 3 of 8?
Putting my trust in God's ultimate plan was being tested. After a very quiet dinner between Nate and I, we fired up our computer to check out the place we would soon be calling home. The first picture that jumped up on our screen was this one:
![]() |
| Chugach Mountains Photo by Michael DeYoung. Credit |
Ahhh. Yes, there's my peace. My heart skipped a beat and I fell in love. There is something about nature that just makes me want to praise God. Nate smiled and said, "It's probably one of the most beautiful places in the country."
![]() |
| Katmai National Park and Preserve, Photo by: Michael DeYoung. Credit. |
![]() |
| Gates of the Arctic. Credit. |
I am so thankful that I have a God who delights in the details of my life. Living in this knowledge that He has a plan gives me joy and peace. It makes me feel nervous, excited, scared and delighted but it is still a great place to be.
Penn trying on his new fleece insulating layer for the snow.




2 comments:
I love this post. You have captured life in the military...God is bigger. I was just telling a friend how each move in the military was so sweet in the friendships God gave us. Utah and San Antonio were 2 moves that we were most nervous about and those were the places we ended with the strongest friendships. I love how you are enjoying your jouney ahead...it looks beautiful...I think you may get plenty of visitors, too, with scenery like that!
This is my favorite post. Thank you Lauren for eloquently stating your transparent hearts. When I looked at the first picture my mind immediately went to Psalm 121.
The next three years your boys will have the perfect teachable setting to learn our family psalm.
I can hardly wait to come out!
Love
Mom
Post a Comment