Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving and all its glory...it's fried glory

For the last two years we've forgone our usual method of baking our Thanksgiving turkey to frying it.  This year, by Zach's request, we attempted to fry other less traditional items to add to our feast. He and Bethany came up with a few additional and adventurous deserts to fry. Because we didn't want our fried delights to be turkey laced, we decided to begin our Thanksgiving meal with dessert.

We had fried oreos, fried twinkies, fried butter, fried cookie dough, fried apple turnovers, and the mother of all fried foods: the fried budinkie.  What might you ask is a fried budinkie?  Well, let me tell you. We decided to come up with our own fried dessert.  We had several different ideas but settled on a combination of twinkies, cookie dough and butter.  This is how the fried budinkie was born.  The budinkie is a ball of cookie dough warpped in twinkie shell and closed on both ends with a tablespoon of butter.  It was AMAZING.  I must say the fried budinkie and the apple turnovers were by far my favorites.  
The entire day was fabulous because we were able to begin it with friends at the Pulte Bowl and end it by playing cards with family.  Our Thanksgiving definitely exemplified what we are thankful for this year: our friends, our family, a fryer, and of course, a God who has blessed us all.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Pulte Bowl Players


    







4 comments:

Toby and Rebecca said...

I am not sure if great blog posts are a good enough trade off for not having my friend in town but it is definitely a perk with the Houston rotation! I love your pictures- the coloring is just awesome. It makes me so happy to see Zach ready with the fire extinguisher and I am counting on some budinkie action sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lauren, Nathan and Sammy for a wonderful Thanksgiving.

It is an amazing blessing to be together as a family and make so many memories, I am still smiling!

I love the picture of Bethany's "fun" birthday cake.

Looking forward to the 2011 Pulte Bowl (you and Rebecca organize a BIG Party!) more creative fried foods with and whipping garlic potatoes with my Sammy.

Love
Grammy

pjtj said...

Do you have any leftover budinkies? Desserts first on Thanksgiving...I love it!!

Debbie said...

Oh wow!!! Now THAT's putting creativity to work constructively :-) If Nathan's residency were vascular or cardiac surgery, the budinkie operation might smack of self-service (developing his target patient population) but since he's not--well fry on!!!
Thank you for sharing. We love this blog. And seeing all the joy and love.