Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Lazy Man's Guide to Carving A Pumpkin

As much as I trust Sammy, the idea of allowing him to carve his very own jack 'o lantern scared me a little.  Tools like boning knives and pairing knives do not seem to sync with two year old.  So.  I read about this idea a few weeks ago and thought it would be the perfect pumpkin carving comprise for our family. We saw very quickly that this idea was a home run idea because it involved only one tool: a power drill.

This is the lazy man's guide to carving a pumpkin: no knives needed.  All you need is a pumpkin, a power drill and an excited two year old.

From Sammy's point of view, this was the coolest thing he's ever done.


Step 1: Cut off the top and clean out the pumpkin

Step 2: Place the drill on the pumpkin. 

Step 3: Turn on the drill and let two year old drill away.

Step 4: Make as many holes as you want. Wherever you want.


Step 5: Wow the crowd with your amazing drilling skills.

Tada! A fun hands on project for a two year old!

Happy Halloween!


4 comments:

Bethany E. Ward said...

What a great idea! I'm definitely keeping this in mind for the future. Or maybe even this year? :)

Debbie said...

Oh man!! Too much fun! Even great sounds and action for Penn, I see! I was curious how they were getting a face on the pumpkin with the drill. The last picture made me laugh out loud. "Process" wins!! Hurray for fun over tradition!

Anonymous said...

What a creative momma the Salinas cowboys have.....
and....What an amazing dad.

JB said...

Hahaha...Step 5 - the crowd truly looks "wow-ed"!