Christmas time is here, my Christmas shopping list is slowly being crossed off, our tree is up and decorated and my Christmas list has been emailed to Nate. As I was making my Christmas list for my husband this year, I was thinking about the fact that this will be our fifth Christmas together. After five years of marriage, I have learned two important lessons when gift buying for Nate. One, the importance of listening to your spouse; and the other, a Christmas list.
Making my Christmas list this year made me think about how we came to the point of making list. Yes, I wish I could say that Nathan and I know each other so well that we can just have a feeling about the other, go to the store, pick THE perfect present, be back before dinner and blissfully sing Christmas Carols around the tree all night long in perfect harmony. Since this hasn't happened yet, we defer to the Christmas list for our gifts.
The reality of not knowing what to get for the other person was very apparent the first year we were married. One night during dinner we were discussing Christmas gift ideas for each other. Nathan said that he wanted me to surprise him, but his only request was that he wanted something PRACTICAL. He does not like frilly, unuseful things, he just wanted something he could use daily. I, on the other hand, did not want practical. I wanted UNPRACTICAL. I can buy myself practical any day. I told him I want something unexpected, that I would never buy for myself. Easy, right?
Later that week, I noticed a beautifully wrapped present in a nice big box under our tree that had not been wrapped by me. Hmm mm, What could it be? As much as I picked up, looked at, and accidentally shook that present over the next couple weeks, I could not figure out what totally unpractical gift was in the box.
Well, I'm sure I don't need to tell you how the story ends. Because the title of this post is "What's on your list" and you also know that after this first fateful Christmas, we began to make lists. It was a learning experience for both of us.
There is something else that I learned on this first Christmas. That no matter what Nathan gets me, practical or not, his gift if always thoughtful and filled with love. And on that morning, while Nathan was opening up his very unpractical gift of a trapeze lesson and I was opening up my very practical kitchen mixing bowl, I realized that not only do I need to pay a little bit more attention to my husband but that from then on we would be making Christmas lists for each from then on.

3 comments:
That is hilarious. GO list making!!
So, should I return the circular saw I got you?
By the way, you not being able to sing Christmas Carols in perfect harmony has nothing to do with Christmas gifts. Trust me, I've heard Nate sing (see: your wedding).
JB, please don't return the circ saw . . .I will need it to carve Lauren's next Christmas present, two flirtatious turtledoves, out of the solid Oak in our backyard.
And you should take a good look at the You-Tube video from YOUR wedding, when my musical performance saved Jon Bon's reputation and was hailed with "One more song!"
Post a Comment